Big congrats to Emeka Frederick and Ifeyinwa Frederick, founder of Chukus London, the world’s first Nigerian tapas lounge, on winning the £2000 prize money in the Virgin Media Pioneers competition.
Entrepreneurs attended the #GEW2016 masterclasses to hone their skills and learn how they can make their business voom in November. They were asked to make and upload the pledges they made at the masterclasses and to provide update on their progress over the 2 weeks following the event. The winner who demonstrated the most progress was promised a prize of £2,000! It was a keenly contested competition with many great startups involved.
The siblings duo, Emeka and Ifey Frederick blew the judges away with their commitment and ambition to taking their business to the next level. They got a lot of work done in November and the judges were impressed with their achievements.
- Tell their story to a national and international audience.
- Redesign their brand.
- Better engage their customer community.
- Create a network map.
- Networked with the journalists to arrange meetings and got featured in the biggest news and entertainment magazine in Nigeria, Bella Naija.
- Used the advice from Emma Sexton on working with designers to find a consultant and redesign their brand.
- Harriet Minter inspired them to plan a consistent and regular newsletter for their mailing list.
- Used the advice of Samantha Clarke to create a relationship map on Excel, identifying who the main support system is for their business.
Co-founder Emeka took time out of his busy schedule to tell the Voom Team how happy he is to win:
“We have been working hard all year to grow the business but these last couple of months we really dug deep to push ourselves to set Chuku’s up for an even better 2017. Winning the Virgin Media Pioneers competition is humbling recognition for our efforts. £2,000 will go a long way in setting up our first ever permanent site. It feels like Christmas has come early!”
Excerpts from Virgin Media Pioneers